Preparation for Hijama
- Hijama is a great Sunnah of Rasulullah (SAW) and also an amazing way of healing. Have perfect Yaqeen and conviction in it before going through it.
- Complete fasting for 3 to 4 hours before Hijama session. Do not take any food or drink
- until the procedure is completed. Have healthy hearty meal 24 hours before the
- Warm shower/ Ghusul before session helps stimulate blood circulation and promote
release of blood stasis.
- Consult with your healthcare practitioner before Hijama if you have any health conditions.
- Upon consultation with your doctor, stop aspirin or any blood thinner of any trength or quantity night before Hijama.
- Abstain from sexual intercourse or strenuous activities before Hijama.
- Be in the state of Wudu during Hijama.
- If possible, give some Sadaqah before Hijama.
- Pray two Rak’aat of Salaatul Haajaat before Hijama and make Dua for Shifa by means of
this Sunnah remedy.
- If you would like Hijama/Cupping done on hairy places, then you should shave the
places before coming for the session.
- Bring all medical information, all medical reports, what medicine is taken and take all prescribed medication before the session as usual.
- Arrive 15 minutes prior to appointment to fill out forms for complete medical history before Hijama session.
- Wear something loose-fitting or comfortable attires which allow you to change in a patient gown (if there is a need).
Treatment Aftercare and Homework
- Drink honey-water immediately after the session and drink plenty of fluids with solid meals.
- You will feel extra hungry over the next few days. So eat as much as you can or need to.
- Eat a balanced wholesome and healthy diet with lots of water and herbal tea.
- For best results, you should take a walk for 15 to 20 minutes or more. If you feel dizzy or light headed, lie down and raise your legs. Slowly stand up after 15 minutes if you feel better.
- NEVER sleep or rest after cupping as newly dislodged living and dead blood cells could result in clotting. Try to stay active for at least next 4 hours.
- Try to keep away from consuming red meat, Omega3 rich foods and heavy dairy products for 24-hours after your treatment.
- Do not take a shower and do not expose yourself to excessive cold or heat in the next 24 hours.
- Avoid sexual intercourse within 24 hours after Hijama.
- For the next few days you may notice changes in your bowel and urinary habits, sleep patterns, emotional levels, mood swings and appetites. You may experience skin break-outs, tiredness, feeling drained or low on energy, general weakness, excessive flatulence, excessive release of body fluids- such as phlegm, mucus, sweat, tears, urine etc. These are nothing to be worried about. It is simply because your body is getting used to a massive shift in energy after the treatment. Your body will now be dealing with and adjusting to huge changes in your physical, mental, emotional and spiritual state. YOU WILL FEEL WORSE BEFORE FEELING BETTER. After a few sessions you will feel more balanced and healthier IA.
- Red marks, bruising and scratch marks from the cupping normally fade away in 3 to 10 days. Keep applying black seed oil or honey if irritation occurs. Do not scratch the cupped areas.